Google Merchant Violation - Misrepresentation

I added my products to google merchant. Initially things were going ok until i decided to test an ad. Then i received notification that I was in violation of one of their policies - misrepresentation - and my ad and account were suspended. I tried to write in, I tried to request a review, they do not communicate except with auto emails telling me the issue was not fixed. I deleted all of the Google IDs and started over.

Right now I’m apparently in the ‘free feed’ but they say that’s limited and again I am in violation of their misreprensation policy. How can this be fixed?

Below are screenshots:

Google Merchant screenshot

Here’s some of the text from their email - IDs removed:

Thank you for listing or selling your products across our shopping experiences on Google. We’re here to help you get discovered by shoppers, with the choice to list for free, advertise, or sell on Google.

Unfortunately, we’ve found an issue with your account (xxxx - Account ID: yyyyyy) that requires your attention: Misrepresentation. As a result, your free product listings have limited visibility. Your Shopping ads are unavailable for display to users.

1 Like

Here’s a link to what they say about misrepresentation. this doesn’t seem like anything i can fix:
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6150127

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately I don’t know why your account has been suspended.
Could you pls send us some screenshots of your Google Merchant Center account and the settings for the product feed you set up there.
Maybe we can find out which problem Google has with it.
Thanks in adcance.

the feed is going to the push state URL in the google page of the shop. I can’t remember if that was the same when I first set up the account. For now my latest account is not suspended but I can’t run ads and free listings is limited and they are claiming the same problem. I can’t figure out what they want either. I’m lost here. any other setting you need?

By the way they offer this list below. My URL is claimed and this time around I’m only targetting the US and I’ve entered the shipping info for the US for all 3 types of shipping.

You might be able to fix disapproved accounts, feeds, or items without submitting this form. Disapprovals happen when Shopping ads policies or product data specification requirements are not met. Here are the most common reasons for disapproval and what you can do:

1 Like

Frank I’m still very confused. I filled in a form at Google and got a very basic auto email that told me nothing. I’m going to put below what their help section says and i’ll reply again seperately with what they said in the email response to my form. can you help me figure this out?

Help section info:

Misrepresentation

A custom icon for Merchant Center Classic and Merchant Center Next. |100%xauto

This policy applies to free listings. Learn more about Shopping ads policies.

Our policy

Google doesn’t want customers to feel misled by the content in your free listings, and that means being upfront, honest, and providing them with the information that they need to make informed decisions. For this reason we don’t allow the following:

• Listings that prompt customers to initiate a purchase, download, make another commitment without first providing all relevant information and obtaining the customer’s explicit consent
  • Listings that represent you or your products in a way that is not accurate, realistic, and truthful

Examples of what’s not allowed

Omission of relevant information

Failure to clearly and conspicuously disclose the payment model and full expense that a customer will bear before and after purchase

• Examples: Pricing of products (total price, currency) may depend on additional conditions impacting the total cost for the customer i.e. auction pricing, membership fees, contract, payment schemes, additional purchase requirement, creating additional undisclosed payment obligations during payment processing
    See the Product data specification attributes on availability, price, tax and shipping for specific guidelines to comply with this policy

Failure to clearly and conspicuously disclose all related conditions before and after purchase

• Examples: Missing merchant terms and conditions or shipping information. Return and refund policy that is unclear, missing, or not easily discoverable.

Omitting material information when promoting content as benefiting a charitable or political organization

• Examples: Failing to display a charity or tax exemption number for charitable donations; failing to disclose whether political donations are tax exempt or not

Unavailable listings

Promising products or promotional offers that aren’t available for customers

• Examples: Listing products that are not stocked, promoting a deal that is no longer active, call-to-action in promotion that isn’t easily achievable from the landing page
    See the Product data specification attributes on availability and price for specific guidelines to comply with this policy

Misleading or unrealistic listings

Making false statements about your identity, qualifications, or the listed product

• Examples: Claiming to be a certified reseller of goods when not actually certified, using a brand name to drive traffic to a different product on the site

Using false claims or claims that entice the customer with an improbable result (even if this result is possible) as the likely outcome that a customer can expect

• Examples: ‘Miracle cures’ for medical ailments; extreme weight loss products

Falsely implying affiliation with, or endorsement by, another individual, organization, product, or service

• Examples: Misleading use or mimicry of official government sites, stamps, seals, or agency names

Listings promoting harmful health claims, or content that relates to a current, major health crisis and contradicts authoritative scientific consensus

• Examples (non-exhaustive): Anti-vaccine advocacy; denial of the existence of medical conditions such as AIDS or Covid-19; gay conversion therapy

Making claims that are demonstrably false and could significantly undermine participation or trust in an electoral or democratic process

• Examples (non-exhaustive): Information about public voting procedures, political candidate eligibility based on age or birthplace, election results, incorrect claims that a public figure has died, or been involved in an accident

Unacceptable business practices

Concealing or misstating information about the business or product

• Note that we may review information from multiple sources, including promotion, website, accounts, and 3rd-party sources, in determining whether a merchant or site is untrustworthy
  • Examples: Enticing customers to part with money or information under false or unclear pretenses; presenting a false identity, business name, or contact information; charging customers for products typically available for free; ‘phishing’ for customers’ information

Scamming customers by concealing or misstating information about the merchant’s business, or product, or service

• Examples: Impersonating brands or businesses by referencing or modifying the brand content in the listings, URL, destinations or misrepresenting yourself as the brand or business in customer interactions
  • Examples: Enticing customers to part with money or information through a fictitious business that lacks the qualifications or capacity to provide the listed products

Offer destinations that use “phishing” techniques to gather customer information

• Examples: Sites that trick customers into revealing their personal information by mimicking a trusted retailer

We may take action on your account based on, for example, adverse regulatory warnings, settlements or rulings about a merchant’s business practices, or direct complaints from businesses and other entities about impersonation.

We take violations of this policy very seriously and consider them egregious. An egregious violation of our policies is a violation so serious that it is unlawful or poses significant harm to our customers. In determining whether a merchant or destination is violating this policy, we may review information from multiple sources including your product, website, accounts, and third-party sources. If we find violations of this policy, we will suspend your Merchant Center account upon detection and without prior warning, and you will not be allowed to participate in listing content with us again.

If you believe there’s been an error, and that you haven’t violated our policy, you can submit an appeal and explain why (using the link at the bottom of this page). We only reinstate accounts in compelling circumstances, and when there is good reason, so it’s important that you take the time to be thorough, accurate, and honest.

What you can do

Here’s what you can do if your product is disapproved or if your Merchant Center account is impacted:

Product disapproval

Account disapproval

Account issue that limits product visibility

To ensure a safe and positive experience for customers, Google requires that retailers comply with all applicable laws and regulations in addition to our policies. It’s important that you familiarize yourself with and keep up to date on these requirements for the place where your business operates, as well as for any other places your listings are shown. When we find content that violates these requirements, we may block it from appearing. In cases of repeated or egregious violations, we may ban you from listing content with us.

This is what the email said which did not help me at all.

Google Logo

We have found that your account has been flagged with the ‘Misrepresentation’ policy violation.

This policy suspension means that we have reviewed your Google Merchant Center account and concluded that it does not comply with our Shopping policies, and your Google Merchant Center account has been disapproved.

Learn more about the Misrepresentation policy, or visit the Help Center for more information.

As outlined in our Terms of Service, Google reserves the right to terminate any user’s participation at any time.

If you believe your Google Merchant Center account complies with our Shopping policies and you are confident the necessary changes have been made, you can request another review. Note, you may be subject to longer cool down periods if multiple reviews have been requested and failed. Learn more about the potential impact of requesting reviews after multiple failed attempts

Thank you,
Shopping Support

1 Like

Frank i’m thinking it has to be one of the first 2 items…omission of relevant information or the one under it. when i look at the pricing policy it does say it’s required to know if a product is available and in stock and if not when it will be. I couldn’t find anywhere that the shop shows this. could that be it? pricing policy and what’s required in the feed is on this link. can you confirm of all required info is in the feed? Maybe that’s it!!!

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7052112?visit_id=638113006064018913-2223199591&rd=1&sjid=16229510871196688793-NA

Frank I figured it out. It is the address. It works if you put in Authorized Reseller of Spreadshirt Inc. Consider this one resolved.

2 Likes

Frank

the other day it looked like the issue was solved. I asked for a review and received an email that the review was completed. the restrictions had been lifted and it looked great! today the misrepresentation violation came right back and I have not changed the address. Did you all solve this by chance? I saw another person posted about it too.