Brexit Changes?

We are a UK based site, with the changes in Brexit can you explain if any of our UK customers will be impacted by Brexit. While I think VAT is already accounted for (though I think it must be applied differently) I am unsure of whether customers will face customs charges?

From what I understand I think there is a threshold of £135? But I think customs documents must be applied to the orders.

Please can you clarify as I don’t want UK customers getting nasty surprises.

With regards to VAT and customs purposes, England, Scotland and Wales are going to be treated as 3rd party countries while Northern Ireland will remain in the EU single market for the time being.

We are still in discovery how this will impact customers and probably come up with a communication piece.

We really need clarification urgently, while most orders might fall under the threshold for import duty VAT won’t unless it’s properly charged at UK rate

Brexit: ‘I was asked to pay an extra £82 for my £200 coat’ Brexit: 'I was asked to pay an extra £82 for my £200 coat' - BBC News

You need to address this now as we had some recent UK orders and if they get charged this they well reject the orders or be very angry with us.

So here is some official guidance:

HMRC have introduced the following measures on consignments with a value below £135 (value includes shipping):

The point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This means that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers (not on a marketplace), the overseas seller is required to register for UK VAT and account for the VAT to HMRC.

Otherwise the UK customer will face 20% tax and likely a handling fee from the delivery company or post service.

As it stands Spreadshop is unusable for UK orders unless either:

1. Spreadshirt registers for UK VAT and correctly invoices and uses the correct documentation (another German printer Print24 already does this for many years)

Or

1. Spreadshirt establishes a UK partner and separate shop like for the USA

I´m sorry for being a bit late here.
It took me some time to gather and prove the informations. When answering to your initial post, the major details were not known to me.
But I got all the information and I am happy to inform you:

We are prepared and you can put your trust in us, that none of our customers will pay “surprise customs”.
We have taken all required measures in advance to prevent cases that lead to a frustrating customer experience.
But, there may be changes to the custom rules which are not foreseeable yet. We are monitoring this closely and will react when it´s needed.

Until today we have not received any negative feedback or customer complaints regards unusual charges.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.